The ICC Men’s T20 Cricket World Cup, formerly ICC Twenty20 World Cup, will be coming to Australia for the first time. This month-long competition, which will take place in Australia from 16th October through 13th November, is recognized as one of the most significant in Australian sports history.
Catch the action as Australia, the 2021 ICC T20 World Cup winner, battle it out with other teams for the champions trophy. The tournament will bring together the 16 best cricket teams to compete in front of massive crowds at seven venues across Australia.
The winning team will take home $3.5 million in prize money and bragging rights as the top cricket squad in the world. So you can bet that the 2022 competition will be fierce!
Here’s your primer on what you need to know if you want to be ready for all the action this October and November.
The list of venues is already out. And they are sure to provide a great experience for all who attend.
With games taking place in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Hobart, and Geelong, there will be plenty of opportunities to catch a game.
Here’s a list of Mens T20 World Cup venues in Australia.
|The Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground)||Brisbane||42,000|
|MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground)||Melbourne||100,000|
|SCG (Sydney Cricket Ground)||Sydney||48,000|
A Close Look at the Teams
There’s still time to get you up to speed on the teams and players participating in this year’s matches. So we thought we’d give you a look at the teams who will be playing.
As you prepare to root for your favorite teams, remember that betting on sports makes watching even more fun!
Australia will be under pressure to defend its ranking as the defending champions. They have a strong batting line-up, with players like Steve Smith and David Warner among the best batsmen in the world. The bowling attack is also very good, with Mitchell Starc being one of the best bowlers in the world.
Australia will be looking to make it again in the World Cup winners list.
The West Indies cricket team is the two-time defending champion of the T20 Cricket World Cup, having won in 2012 and 2016. Some big names contributing to the side’s recent success include former captain Jason Holder, Shai Hope, captain Nicholas Pooran, and Carlos Brathwaite (who hit four consecutive sixes against England).
Their bowling attack is very strong, with Trent Boult and Tim Southee being two of the best in the world. New Zealand will be hard to stop if they can get off to a good start in the tournament.
The team is one of the favorites in the competition. Q de Kock is one of the most explosive batsmen in cricket today, and he will be an important asset for his team throughout the tournament.
It’s hard to know what England is capable of because there is no consistency in their performance. Joe Root is a quality player and former captain who could help lead his team through the competition if they make it past the group stage.
India has a powerful batting line-up that includes Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, MS Dhoni, and Hardik Pandya. These five men alone could carry the weight of any side in this competition, but their bowling unit looks like it needs work.
Pakistan comes into this competition boosted by Mohammad Amir’s return from injury. Hasan Ali, Wahab Riaz, Imad Wasim, Junaid Khan, Mohammed Irfan, and Rumman Raees are the others who could potentially take wickets. Babar Azam is the man of the moment for Pakistan.
Bangladesh has a young, inexperienced squad for this competition. But with so much room for development and potential, it is hard to predict how far they will go.
They have plenty of talent in Mustafizur Rahman and Taskin Ahmed.
Sri Lanka is one of the most inconsistent teams in this competition. They have plenty of talented players in Angelo Mathews and Kusal Mendis, but they could lose their way at any point. This team relies heavily on how each individual performs. So if there are not enough contributors, Sri Lanka could be in for a long tournament.
Other teams in this year’s line-up include the United Arab Emirates, Afghanistan, Namibia, Scotland, and Ireland.
2022 ICC World Cup Fixture
|Venue||Match & Date|
|MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground)||Australia Vs. England (28th October)
New Zealand Vs. Afghanistan (26th October)
India Vs. Pakistan (23rd October)
Final (13th November)
|SCG (Sydney Cricket Ground)||Pakistan Vs. South Africa (3rd November)
South Africa Vs. Bangladesh (27th October)
New Zealand Vs. Australia (22nd October)
Semi-Final 1 (9th November)
|Adelaide Oval||Pakistan Vs. Bangladesh (6th November)
Australia Vs. Afghanistan (4th November)
India Vs. Bangladesh (2nd November)
Semi-Final 2 (10th November)
|Perth Stadium||India Vs. South Africa (30th October)
England Vs. Afghanistan (22nd October)
|The Gabba||England Vs. New Zealand (1st November)|
|Kardinia Park||Namibia Vs. United Arab Emirates (20th October)
Sri Lanka Vs. United Arab Emirates (18th October)
Sri Lanka Vs. Namibia (16th October)
|Bellerive Oval||West Indies Vs. Ireland (21st October)
Scotland Vs. Ireland (19th October)
West Indies Vs. Scotland (17th October)
Ticket Information & Hospitality Packages
Ticketek is the authorized ticket seller of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2022. Should the 2022 event be rescheduled, relocated, or canceled due to Covid-19, you’re eligible for a 100% refund.
ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Australia 2022 offers seven packages that include a hospitality experience.
You can expect an exceptional experience with Pavilion package. Take advantage of in-room chef stations, premium reserved seating, 5-hour premium beverage, and gourmet food service. Also, get to enjoy live entertainment all day long while sitting in the greatest seats in the house.
Your Private Suite, which offers the privacy and exclusivity of your own space, is ready to welcome you with unmatched views of the field, gourmet food, and a selection of drinks as you relax. The T20 World Cup will be an unforgettable experience for you, thanks to Private Suites, which may be tailored to your personal or professional needs.
Open Air Boxes
Open Air Boxes offer everything you need to enjoy a hassle-free day of cricket. They are a casual entertainment alternative. They mix the stadium-like ambiance with a higher standard of comfort and service. A private open box seating area and the choice of having individual plates delivered right to your seats are both exceptional features. When you’re in your own Open Air Box, among the crowd, you can enjoy premium food and drinks while feeling like a part of the action.
Start the perfect party where socializing, music, and sports come together. Enter Club 20|20 now.
Throughout the game, revel in a constant assortment of grazing treats supplied to your visitors at grazing tables in a lively setting. You will be led through the day’s (or evening’s) events by a Master of Ceremonies, and there will be vibrant entertainment in your room to go along with all the on-field excitement. This is the perfect environment for informal networking while giving you and your guests an amazing cricket experience.
Those looking for casual entertainment that nevertheless offers hospitality and excellent service will benefit from the Crease casual grazing type package.
In a relaxed environment with a cash bar or pre-ordered beverage package, enjoy a grazing buffet throughout the game that includes a variety of canapes and substantial foods. You will be led through the day’s (or evening’s) events by a Master of Ceremonies, who will also provide light in-room entertainment.
This is the perfect environment for casual networking or just having fun with loved ones.
BBQ Deck package offers a relaxed and unstructured setting. To fully enjoy the alfresco experience at the T20 World Cup, live cooking stations will welcome you with traditional BBQ cuisine and salads, along with either a cash bar option or pre-order beverage packages.
A custom package available only at particular fixtures. Experience the flavor sensation inspired by culture and created to complement the teams competing in the related matches. This package is ideal for large gatherings of friends and families since it will offer you a true sense of the occasion and the chance to fully participate in the celebration of cultures. Including a smorgasbord of ethnic treats and family-friendly theme entertainment for you and your entire family.
Only buy hospitality from authorized International Cricket Council hospitality agents. These include Sports Travel and Hospitality Limited (STH Travel) and Cricket Australia.
How To Get There: Transport Options
We’ve included the best and cheapest transport lines and routes by bus, tram, and train from the respective CBDs to ICC T20 venues. Also, we’ll highlight the main taxi operators should you want to take a cab.
Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG)
- Tram: Line 70 from 6-Russell St/Flinders St to 7C-MCG Gates 4-7/John Cain Arena. Then, it’s a 3-minute walk or 230 meters to MCG.
- Bus: Catch bus lines 246 and 906. The nearest bus stations to MCG are Swan St/Punt Rd (2 min walk), Richmond Railway Station (2 min walk), and Anderson St/Alexandra Ave (10 min walk)
- Train: Hurtsbridge or Mernda from Melbourne Central to Jolimont-MCG. After that, it’s a 9-minute walk or 750 meters to MCG.
- Taxi: Melbourne CBD to MCG. The main taxi operators are Silver Top Taxi, Silver Service Taxi Melbourne Airport, Melbourne Silver Premium Cabs, Crown Cabs, and 13CABS.
Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG)
- Tram: Take a tram from Wynyard station to Moore Park station. From there, it’s an 8-minute walk or 670 meters to SCG.
- Bus: Catch bus line 396 at Circular Quay, Alfred St, Stand B to Anzac Pde opp Sydney Boys High School. From there, it’s a 15-minute walk or 1.3 km to SCG.
- Taxi: WAV CABS, St George Cabs, Silver Service, and RSL Cabs are some of the main taxi operators from Sydney CBD to SCG.
- Bus: Bus line 251 from Stop X2 King William St – West side to Stop 1 Sir Edwin Smith Ave – North side. Then take a 5-min walk (430 meters) to Adelaide Oval.
- Taxi: Adelaide to Adelaide Oval. The main operators are Yellow Cab Co, Suburban Taxis, and Adelaide Independent Taxis.
- Bus: Bus line 615 at City Interchange #A3 to Stop 9, No.48 Clarence St. Then it’s a 3-minute walk (250 meters) to Bellerive Oval.
- Taxi: Hobart to Bellerive Oval. United Taxis and 131008 Hobart are the main taxi operators.
- Train: Take the train from Geelong to South Geelong. Then it’s a 5-minute walk (400 meters) to Kardinia Park.
- Bus: Line 1 from Moorabool Street Bus Stops/Moorabool St to Kardinia Park & Ride/Moorabool St. After that, it’s a 2-minute walk or 160 meters to Kardinia Park.
- Taxi: Geelong to Kardinia Park (stadium). Geelong Taxi Network is the main taxi operator.
- Train: Catch the train from Perth Stn Platform 6 to Perth Stadium Stn Platform 4. Then it’s a 6-minute walk or 430 meters to Perth Stadium
- Bus: Line 653 from Beaufort St After Parry St to Perth Stadium Bus Stn Perth Stadium Set Down. After that, it’s 200 meters or a 3-minute walk to Perth Stadium.
- Taxi: Perth to Perth Stadium. Taxi operators include WA Cabs, Swan Taxis, Black & White Cabs, and LCab.
- Bus: Line 204 from Adelaide Street Stop 40 near Broadway to Jurgens St at Woolloongabba, stop E. Then, it’s a 2-minute walk or 150 meters to Brisbane Cricket ground.
- Taxi: Brisbane to Brisbane Cricket Ground. Taxi operators include Black & White Cabs and Yellow Cab Co.
NB: Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are popular choices, but you can also opt for a chauffeur service. Rideshare services are usually cheaper than chauffeur services. However, if you need a reliable ride to or from the airport or want access to the VIP lounge, then using a chauffeur service could be worth the extra expense.
Where To Stay
When choosing where to stay during the T20 Cricket World Cup in Australia, there are a few things to consider. First, you’ll want to be close to the action, and second, you’ll want to find accommodation that fits your budget. With those things in mind, here are some great places to stay during the T20 Cricket World Cup in Australia.
|Venue||Where To Stay|
|Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG)||
|Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG)||
|The Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Stadium)||
Now that you have all the information about the upcoming Cricket World Cup, it’s time to get excited and start planning to catch all the action! Don’t miss any of your favourite teams in action as they battle it out to become champions!
But if you can’t be there in person, don’t worry. Simply tune in to watch the Cricket World Cup 2022 and cheer on your favourite teams!